Arnott's Pizza Shapes (Aus)

I’ve been out the game for over a year now but when something monumental occurs, one can simply not stand idly by. You can consider this an open letter to decision makers at Arnott’s. Now I understand Shapes are not a crisp per se but they are a savory snack that I, like many other Australians, have enjoyed for many years. I even remember eating Barbecue and Pizza shapes on silver seats in my primary school playground. A boy of only 9 or 10 years, blown away by the ‘flavour you can see’! Of course, even in those early years, I understood that you cannot actually see flavour. Never the less, I was still thoroughly impressed.

Even some of the second tier flavours were still worth the occasional purchase. Chicken Crimpy and Nacho Cheese providing it was reduced to controlled portions. Despite the variety Arnott’s are able to offer, as far as I am concerned, Pizza have always been the Queen of the Arnott’s brand. However, there is no question that over these many years, it would seem that Mr Arnott has been running low on flavour or maybe he was just unable to see it. I, just like all other Pizza Shape aficionados, noticed that with each new purchase the flavour was becoming more and more sparse. Now I am no business man, but there must be some reason for the measly and declining seasoning on this national favourite. And I can only think that ‘flavour you can see’ is becoming exceedingly expensive and Arnott’s simply cannot exists with the supply of ample seasoning. I don’t know the actual reason but whatever it was, it has just moved heaven and earth.

Shapes have changed! Complete with new packaging, the tag line now no longer describes the indescribable. Rather it suggests that the good people at Arnott’s have addressed the injustice we’ve been experiencing for these many years - “Now with more flavour”. But the flavour has changed. No more flavour chunks but more of a dusting. In terms of the taste, it is similar but not quite and exact replica. The biscuit itself is a much lighter and crumblier. Easier digest if that is of particular interest to you. The end result is exceedingly disappointing. I couldn’t even finish this whole pack! There was nothing wrong with the old recipe. They just had the ratios wrong.

Coincidentally, I have also take the liberty of trying the Barbecue flavour which are much the same as described above.   ⋆½

1 comment: